By Jessica Berman
A better half to Virginia Woolf is an intensive exam of her existence, paintings, and a number of contexts in 33 essays written by way of major students within the field.
- Contains insightful and provocative new scholarship and sketches out new instructions for destiny research
- Approaches Woolf’s writing from numerous views and disciplines, together with modernism, post-colonialism, queer thought, animal experiences, electronic humanities, and the law
- Explores the a number of trajectories Woolf’s paintings travels all over the world, from the Bloomsbury staff, and the Hogarth Press to India and Latin America
- Situates Woolf experiences on the leading edge of latest literature scholarship and the hot modernist studies
Read Online or Download A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Within the first full-length examine of the determine of the feminine libertine in past due 17th- and early eighteenth-century literature, Laura Linker examines heroines showing in literature by way of John Dryden, Aphra Behn, Catharine Trotter, Delariviere Manley, and Daniel Defoe. Linker argues that this determine, partly encouraged by means of Epicurean principles present in Lucretius's De rerum natura, interrogates gender roles and assumptions and emerges as a resource of substantial rigidity throughout the overdue Stuart and early Georgian classes.
Eco-friendly Retreats offers a full of life and wonderfully illustrated account of eighteenth-century girls of their gardens, within the context of the bigger heritage in their retirement from the area – no matter if willed or enforced – and in their engagement with the literature of gardening. starting with a survey of cultural representations of the lady within the backyard, Stephen Bending is going directly to inform the tales, via their letters, diaries and journals, of a few impressive eighteenth-century ladies together with Elizabeth Montagu and the Bluestocking circle, the gardening neighbours woman Caroline Holland and girl Mary Coke, and Henrietta Knight, girl Luxborough, popular for her scandalous withdrawal from the social international.
The Somali novelist, Nuruddin Farah, is likely one of the most crucial African writers at the present time. The vital query that this e-book investigates is the connection among smooth identification and the unconventional as agenre. Nuruddin Farah's novels are proven through Moolla to surround the historical past of the unconventional: from the 'proto-realism' of the acclaimed From a Crooked Rib to the modernism of a unadorned Needle and the postmodernism of, so much significantly, Maps, returning virtually complete circle together with his most modern novel Crossbones.
Along with the groundbreaking novels and tales that introduced him status, William Faulkner all through his lifestyles wrote letters—to his writer, his fanatics, his relations, and his neighbors. during this first significant learn of epistolarity in Faulkner's paintings, James G. Watson examines Faulkner's own correspondence as a distinct moment canon of writing, cut loose his literary canon with its many fictional letters yet constructing alongside parallel traces.
- Rediscovering Margiad Evans: Marginality, Gender and Illness (Gender Studies in Wales)
- Men without Women: Masculinity and Revolution in Russian Fiction, 1917–1929
- Double Lives: Writing and Motherhood
- Women Writing Crime Fiction, 1860–1880: Fourteen American, British and Australian Authors
Extra resources for A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Jessica Berman