By Jörg Rüpke
- An cutting edge creation to Roman faith
- Approaches the sphere with a spotlight at the human-figures rather than the gods
- Analyzes spiritual adjustments from the 8th century BC to the fourth century advert
- Offers the 1st heritage of spiritual motifs on cash and household/everyday utensils
- Presents Roman faith inside of its cultural, social, and old contexts
Read Online or Download A Companion to Roman Religion (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Within the first full-length examine of the determine of the feminine libertine in past due 17th- and early eighteenth-century literature, Laura Linker examines heroines showing in literature via John Dryden, Aphra Behn, Catharine Trotter, Delariviere Manley, and Daniel Defoe. Linker argues that this determine, in part encouraged via Epicurean rules present in Lucretius's De rerum natura, interrogates gender roles and assumptions and emerges as a resource of substantial pressure in the course of the overdue Stuart and early Georgian sessions.
Eco-friendly Retreats provides a full of life and fantastically illustrated account of eighteenth-century ladies of their gardens, within the context of the bigger historical past in their retirement from the realm – no matter if willed or enforced – and in their engagement with the literature of gardening. starting with a survey of cultural representations of the lady within the backyard, Stephen Bending is going directly to inform the tales, via their letters, diaries and journals, of a few striking eighteenth-century girls together with Elizabeth Montagu and the Bluestocking circle, the gardening neighbours woman Caroline Holland and girl Mary Coke, and Henrietta Knight, woman Luxborough, well known for her scandalous withdrawal from the social international.
The Somali novelist, Nuruddin Farah, is without doubt one of the most vital African writers this present day. The crucial query that this booklet investigates is the connection among sleek identification and the unconventional as agenre. Nuruddin Farah's novels are proven by means of Moolla to surround the historical past of the unconventional: from the 'proto-realism' of the acclaimed From a Crooked Rib to the modernism of a unadorned Needle and the postmodernism of, such a lot significantly, Maps, returning nearly complete circle along with his newest novel Crossbones.
Along with the groundbreaking novels and tales that introduced him repute, William Faulkner all through his lifestyles wrote letters—to his writer, his enthusiasts, his family members, and his neighbors. during this first significant research of epistolarity in Faulkner's paintings, James G. Watson examines Faulkner's own correspondence as a different moment canon of writing, break free his literary canon with its many fictional letters yet constructing alongside parallel strains.
- Lord Dunsany: Master of the Anglo-Irish Imagination (Contributions to the Study of Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- Shadowing Ralph Ellison (Margaret Walker Alexander Series in African American Studies)
- Politics, Desire, and the Hollywood Novel
- The Intersection of Science Fiction and Philosophy: Critical Studies (Contributions to the Study of Science Fiction & Fantasy)
- Hell West and Crooked: A Living Legend, a Real-life Crocodile Dundee (A&R Classics)
- Visionary Women Writers of Chicago's Black Arts Movement (Margaret Walker Alexander Series in African American Studies)
Extra resources for A Companion to Roman Religion (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Roman Religion (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Jörg Rüpke